http://ourdentalplan.com/sfaqs These are great no-bake bars that I adapted from this recipe. They would be great for a post-workout or after school snack, breakfast or even as part of your lunch instead of a sandwich.
- ⅔ cup almonds and ⅔ cup walnuts – OR – 1 1/3 cup of one type
- ⅔ cup pepitas
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseed
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup raisins or minced dates
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey (only include if your peanut butter is unsweetened)
- Place almonds and/or walnuts in food processor and pulse until nuts are in small pieces, but not minced.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the oats, ground flaxseed, dried cranberries, and raisins or dates.
- Place the peanut butter and honey (if peanut butter is unsweetened) in a small pot or microwaveable container. Heat over low temp or in microwave until peanut butter mixture is melted.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the dry ingredients in large bowl and mix until fully coated (I find clean hands work best for this).
- Transfer the mixture into a wax paper lined baking dish, place another sheet of wax paper over the top and press VERY firmly to flatten the bars using the palm of your hand on the top of wax paper spreading it into all corners and ensuring the mixture is very dense.
- Place pan in refrigerator for 1-2 hours to set. The longer the better because they are less crumbly when cutting the longer they set.
- Remove top layer of wax paper, pull pan contents out of pan by grasping the edges of the wax paper and place on a cutting board to cut into squares.
- Save any crumbly bits for granola on some yogurt!